Meaning of medical travel is a process of traveling outside the country of residence for purpose of receiving medical care.Many factors influence the decision to seek medical care overseas. Some people travel for care because treatment is cheaper in another country. However, medical travelers pay attention many factors before they make decisions;
TOP 10 Medical Travel Tips
1. Contact your medical facilitator at list 4-6 weeks before your medical travel
2. Make sure that you are healthy for trip and having a check-up before your medical travel and discuss vaccinations with your doctor
3. Be aware of qualifications of the healthcare providers who will be doing the procedure and the credentials of the facility where the procedure will be done.
4. Healthcare providers and facilities may be different from hometown. Accrediting groups, including Joint Commission International, DNV International Accreditation for Hospitals, and the International Society for Quality in Healthcare, have lists of standards that facilities need to meet to be accredited.
5. If you do not speak the language where you got to a country, find way to communicate your doctor and other people who are caring for you. Generally,Facilitators provide this service for you.
6. Make sure you have a written agreement with the health care facility or the group arranging the trip, defining what treatments, supplies, and care are covered by the costs of the trip.
7. Take with you copies of your medical records that include the lab and other studies done related to the condition for which you are obtaining care and any allergies you may have.
8. Bring copies of all your prescriptions and a list of all the medicines you take, including their brand names, generic names, manufacturers, and dosages.
9. Before planning vacation activities, such as sunbathing, drinking alcohol, swimming, or taking long tours, find out if those activities are permitted after surgery.
Get copies of all your medical records before you return home.